GEARS recommends that volunteers take several classes covering the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and the Incident Command System (ICS). These classes are offered in an online format by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
Please make sure to submit your certificates to us in the member center!
The following courses are required for certain positions and are strongly recommended for all GEARS members:
- IS-100: Introduction to the Incident Command System
- IS-200: ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
- IS-700: National Incident Management System, An Introduction
- IS-800: National Response Framework, An Introduction
The following online courses are recommended:
- IS-701: NIMS Multiagency Coordination System (MACS)
- IS-706: NIMS Intrastate Mutual Aid – An Introduction
- IS-120: An Introduction to Exercises
- IS-144: Telecommunicators Emergency Response Taskforce (TERT) Basic Course
- IS-230: Fundamentals of Emergency Management
- IS-235: Emergency Planning
- IS-240: Leadership and Influence
- IS-241: Decision Making and Problem Solving
- IS-242: Effective Communication
- IS-244: Developing and Managing Volunteers
- IS-288: The Role of Voluntary Organizations in Emergency Management
We also recommend the following in-person courses.
- Skywarn Storm Spotting
- Stop the Bleed
- IS-300: Intermediate ICS for Expanding Incidents
- IS-400: Advanced ICS for Command and General Staff
- G191: Incident Command System/ Emergency Operations Center Interface
- G775: Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Management and Operations
Once you complete each course and pass the final exam, you will receive a certificate via email. Please submit your certificate to us once completed!
Other reference aids: